The spine or spinal column in our body is important and central support structure of human body. It keeps connected different parts of skeleton to each other: head, chest, pelvis, shoulders, arms and legs. Spine is divided into regions neck, thoracic and lumbar region. The length of someone’s spine depends on their height. Human spine structure has many functions: It allows body move to all directions, it bears weight of arms, torso and head. Some spine sections are flexible than neck area spinal section. Spine is made up of chain of bones and the bones that make up spinal cord strong. There are majorly 5 regions of spine: Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacral and Coccygeal.
Many of anatomical problems that causes back pain including:
Some of complex or intricate structure in spine can be a cause of pain and pain can be of back or neck region or radiate to the extremities. Some of examples are like:
• The joints, ligaments or bones themselves may be injured.
• The large nerve roots which go to the legs and arms may become pinched or can cause irritation sometimes.
• In some cases because of inflammation or degeneration smaller nerves may be irritated or can cause pain.
• In some condition the disc space in between the vertebrae may be painful.
For any spinal condition associated with the pain, patient should undergo proper diagnostic test to evaluate the problem well. Treatment of any spinal problem is depend upon the result of diagnosis test.
Diagnosis of spinal problem:
Diagnosis is very important in view of understanding the issue related to spinal problem. Doctor will evaluate patients clinically and physically which include: X-ray, Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), CT scan, Nerve conduction velocity testing — EMG/NCV, blood test, etc.
Spinal problem causes:
• Some Infection
• Inherited disorders
• Congenital disorders (present since birth)
• Some accidental cases
• Minor or major traumatic Injuries
• Degenerative disc problems of wear and tear that comes with aging
These all spinal problems require proper treatment: